Welcome to the E-Blah Community!
We would like to welcome you to our community and invite you to register an account or login.
Being a registered member is important, as it gives you several advantages over the normal Guest status. After registering you will be able to download files and images, post messages, and access member-only portions of the forum - just to name a few. Registration is quick and simple, and only takes about a minute of your time.

E-Blah Community    Technical Support    Forum Support  ›  Two boards' messages apparently disappear
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 29 Guests

Two boards' messages apparently disappear  This thread currently has 1,733 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiftyeighthens
January 30, 2010, 4:30am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Time Online: 3 hours 44 minutes
Hey guys; thanks for your previous help.  We've had another issue that's caused some consternation, and I'd much appreciate if there was a way to resolve it.

A few months back, one of our boards' messages simply vanished.  While trying to find the cause, I saw that the board's message file was only a few bytes (instead of megabytes) and I couldn't find any of its threads in the Messages folder.  It was a difficult time, but we recovered and moved on.

It's happened again.  This time, it affected the same board as last time, and then a few hours later, it struck another board!

One of my trusty mods came up with some code that he thinks will safeguard against some missing PMs, accounts, and boards in the future (all of which have occurred at some point), but unfortunately we were about a day late in implementing it.  I've been keeping my host's memory settings considerably above what we use on average (we have a private server) in hopes that this would help safeguard against the host restricting the software from writing what it needs to write.

The forum can be viewed at http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl? .  I've PMed server login information to Martin, who has assisted me nobly in the past.  The affected boards are the ones with single threads: Adeleine's Canvas and Castle Lololo.

I'm a fool for not backing up regularly, but is there a dark corner of my folders that has these missing messages, or are they lost for good?

Thanks,
Chris
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message
fiftyeighthens
February 1, 2010, 4:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Time Online: 3 hours 44 minutes
We've relaunched the boards in alternate forms, so we'll move on, but I would appreciate any information regarding whether it's possible to recover lost threads in a case like this.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 2
Nat
February 1, 2010, 4:57pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Here to help
Administrator
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Reputation Score: +41 / -6
Time Online: 3 days 4 hours 29 minutes
Have you tried a re-build?

"Thats the way the mop flops"
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

E-Blah Community    Technical Support    Forum Support  ›  Two boards' messages apparently disappear

Thread Tags