Welcome to the E-Blah Community!
We would like to welcome you to our community and invite you to register an account or login.
Being a registered member is important, as it gives you several advantages over the normal Guest status. After registering you will be able to download files and images, post messages, and access member-only portions of the forum - just to name a few. Registration is quick and simple, and only takes about a minute of your time.

E-Blah Community    Technical Support    Install Issues  ›  supported hosting companies - search is no good
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider, Googlebot and 3 Guests

supported hosting companies - search is no good  This thread currently has 902 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
numuna
February 18, 2008, 11:09am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Time Online: 5 hours 38 minutes
I have used the search facility on here and it is just not coming up with anything at all. i even put it as open as "hosting" and it still does not come up with the list of supported hosting companies which i was told was on here. im getting tired of the free hosting thing on go daddy and i just want to get this dam forum running without wasting my time like this. If i go with a company that is listed here then i know that it is going to work. i just want to get on the freakin forum and i dont care if i have to pay for hosting or even create a new domain! This is 2 days later now - im trying to do it on my own but its not possible. ive been sifting through all the stuff on this forum and its like looking for a needle in a haystack.

sry to be negative maybe it is my fault, maybe i need to spend a few hours looking through all the posts. i kind of expected to find all the answers to the simple stuff easily.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message
numuna
February 18, 2008, 12:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
i have another problem  - how can i run domainname/cgi-bin/forum/setup.pl if there is no "setup.p"l file in the forum folder? i cant even find a "setup.pl" file in any folder let alone the forum one...
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 8
Martin
February 18, 2008, 1:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
If you want free then read this post: http://www.eblah.com/forum/m-1198795764/
Reply: 2 - 8
numuna
February 18, 2008, 2:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Thats not quite what i was after and maybe i can have a giggle later on but at the moment i need a hosting company that works and probabley not a free one. i understand now that loads of people are using linux but i really dont want to change my operating system  of my laptop in the middle of se asia.

by the way justin - it might be obvious to others but - i have realised that it is not "setup.pl" anymore and it is now "install.pl" but it does mean that its another hurdle so it would be cool if the wiki was updated. at my stage of knowledge at the moment i just follow everything by the word and it only became obvious after i looked at it again a bit later on... "duh!"

It seems to me that go daddy freehosting does not support cgi script but i still dont know for sure - it just comes up with a 404 error when i use the http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/forum/install.pl... bare in mind that i actually MADE that cgi-bin directory because maybe i misread something. i take it that on cgi supported hosts that folder already exists - please someone tell me.   I dont even know if i have set the permissions right because theres 3 groups "user, group, others" which is nothing like what is says on the wiki. and besides they were all unticked again after i checked them later so it appears that it is a waste of time ticking the boxes.

Also i would rather have a host where i can set the permissions myself - does anyone on this forum know of any hosting company, paid or free, that supports this forum software. if its a paid host then i dont even care if you get a commision for it - i just want to get the forum running. EVEN BETTER - does anyone know if GO DADDY HOSTING supports cgi /perl script on windows hosting packages and whether the free one that they provide supports it or not?
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 8
Martin
February 18, 2008, 3:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
First: The operating system on your laptop is irrelevant, this refers to the operating system on the host server and linux is far simpler to set permissions on.

Second: Install.pl is for the SQL version, Setup.pl is for the flat file version.

Third: A lot of free hosting companies do not support cgi scripts and more than likely they won't support sql, I'm not sure about Go Daddy but their paid hosting will support both the flat file and sql versions.
Reply: 4 - 8
numuna
February 18, 2008, 3:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
I wrote a post and it has disappeared???? it even showed me that it was submitted
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 8
numuna
February 18, 2008, 3:55pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
"I see" said the blind man. Thats some cool info there thanx. So i can have a host that runs using linux!   wont that cause problems if my OS is windows though - i suppose obviously not or else you would have said. Ok i should be ok-ish for the time being hopefully but if anyone wants to add anymore then that would be much appretiated  
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 8
Justin
February 19, 2008, 12:28am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

The E-Blah Developer
E-Blah Programmer
Posts Per Day: 3.56
Reputation Score: +307 / -22
Time Online: 39 days 6 hours 22 minutes
When you run Install.pl or Setup.pl, it's case sensitive.  Make sure that you aren't using install.pl or setup.pl, as it will not work on much of anything (other than Windows servers).

GoDaddy does support CGI.  I am not sure if it works with the free accounts, but I have installed several forums on the servers before.  I can install E-Blah on it for you for $25, if you're interested.  GoDaddy does not support CGI hosting on Windows hosting.  You can easily move it to Linux by the click of a button.  It'll take a few hours to switch over, but once it's over it will work fine.  It's a little tricky with the directory paths, but other wise everything works fine on GoDaddy servers.

My Websites: Revolution Reality (My Blog)  | Portfolio

"But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." — Psalm 86:15 NIV
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 8
Nat
February 19, 2008, 6:59am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Here to help
Administrator
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Reputation Score: +41 / -6
Time Online: 3 days 4 hours 29 minutes
numuna, I do web hosting, which supports eblah, if you want more details, just send me a PM

"Thats the way the mop flops"
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

E-Blah Community    Technical Support    Install Issues  ›  supported hosting companies - search is no good